The Senior DevOps Engineer will assist the Operations, DevOps, and IT Teams to ensure 24x7x365 availability, fault-tolerance and scalability of all technical components within the Skyword Corporate, QA, Development and Production environments.
This role is located in our Washington, DC office.
What you’ll be doing
- Design, implement, document, and handle all aspects of Linux/CentOS/Debian/Ubuntu ,Windows servers and any compatible applications.
- Deploy and support applications in Amazon Web Services.
- Design, implement, document, and handle all aspects of Corporate and Application
- Security using cloud-based security tools, OSSEC IDS, IPTables, SElinux and all types of scanning tools.
- Identify repetitive, manual tasks and automate them
- Administer and setup monitoring tools
- Administer networking tools and devices
- Work with the Development team in building and maintaining activities related to Java runtime and MySQL environments.
- Document procedures / processes and train others on related procedures.
- Assist periodically in after-hours deployments.
- Participation in 24/7 on call rotation.
- Ability to travel occasionally (Office locations: Pittsburgh, PA / Washington, DC / Boston, MA)
What we would like to see
- Strong technical foundation in a number of the following tools and technologies:
- Linux (Ubuntu/Debian/RedHat/Centos/Fedora)
- Containerization (Docker, ECS, Kubernetes)
- Cloud computing (AWS, Google App Engine)
- Infrastructure automation (Rundeck, Gitlab, Ansible, AWS System Manager)
- Networking - (Juniper, Cisco)
- Application servers and web servers (Nginx, Apache, Tomcat, Java, Jetty, Solr, Kafka)
- Database technologies (MySQL,Postgres)
- Security – Key management, secure protocols, intrusion detection and prevention tools, patch management, port management, ISO 27001 practices
- Monitoring – (Nagios, OSSEC, OpenNMS, ELK - Logstash, Graylog, AWS Cloudwatch)
- Security Compliance – ISO 27001
- Experience in Agile / Kanban development process.
- Experience with AWS
- Compute & networking – EC2, ELB, VPC, Route53, ECS
- Storage and CDN – S3, Glacier, EBS, Cloudfront, Storage Gateway
- Database – RDS, Elasticache
- Deployment & Management – AWS Management console, CLI, IAM, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, Beanstalk, CloudFormation, OpsWorks
- Scripting ability, e.g. Bash, Python, Perl, Korn shell or PHP
- Experience in Agile (Kanban/Scrum) development process framework
What this role requires
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Technical Science or equivalent work experience
- 5-7 years of experience in Operations, DevOps, IT, leading teams and managing 100’s of servers
- 5-7 years of experience with Linux/Windows system administration.
- 5-7 years of experience as a hands-on technical practitioner/specialist in client facing roles.
- 3-4 years experience in Amazon Web Services
- Broad understanding of IP protocols, at all layers of the stack.
- Strong team skills including the ability to lead and be a team player.
- Strong business process/system analytical skills.
- Demonstrated client facing consulting skills, including managing vendor relationships.
- Demonstrated verbal, presentation and written communications skills.
- Ability to train others on technical and procedural topics.
- Ability to work effectively in high pressure, business critical situations.
- Experience with current best practices in Operations/IT standards, principles and CERT security practices.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive market-based salary. Medical, dental, life, progressive parental leave, and disability insurance plans; equity; 401(k) plans with employer matching contribution; three weeks paid vacation; 11 paid holidays; 10 sick days; 2 half day volunteer days; and an open, friendly work environment.
Founded in 2010, Skyword empowers today’s top brands to create unique content experiences that deliver customer value and drive business success. With its SaaS+ model, Skyword offers: a SaaS-based enterprise-level content marketing platform, industry-leading services, and a global community of storytellers. Today’s leading brands have created and published more than one million original stories as articles, videos, images, infographics, podcasts, and animations on Skyword360. These stories have earned Skyword customers more than two billion visits organically, and Skyword has paid its freelance creatives more than $30 million on behalf of its customers. Skyword is a privately held company headquartered in Boston, MA. The company’s technology center is located in Pittsburgh, PA. Current investors include Rho Acceleration, Cox Media Group, Allen & Company, Progress Ventures, and American Public Media Group.
Skyword is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor.