You’ve edited more pieces of content than you could possibly count. You’ve scrapped some almost entirely just in order to hit a surprisingly tight deadline. You’ve also worked with junior editors to make sure this happens almost never, ensuring they are proactive about giving feedback that makes writing more engaging and accurate in a world where eyeballs move anywhere and everywhere in a split second.
As an editor with Skyword, you will be responsible for managing the editorial workflow on a handful of projects that speak to different audiences and require a variety of writers who speak different voices. Collaborating with an editorial director, an associate editor and colleagues developing the editorial strategy, you will hone these editorial products to reach wider audiences over time. You have the editorial voice and ability to work within a team to lead these products to where they need to be.
This position is located in our Boston, MA office. This is NOT a remote or freelance role.
- Program implementation: Work with clients, program managers, and recruiters to create client editorial guidelines and writer and audience personas.
- Writer approval: Identify and engage with qualified and appropriate freelance writers to determine suitability for client content marketing programs.
- Writer quality assessment: Undertake quality assessment of articles written by freelance writers to ensure client standards have been met. Coach and develop freelance writers on brand alignment and voice.
- Mentorship: Coach copy editors on writer feedback, content requirements and brand alignment, as well as helping them to further develop sound editorial judgement.
- Quality control: Undertake quality assessment of copy-edited content and provide high level feedback to copy editors and writers.
- Client communication: Participate on client calls and emails to provide editorial guidance and ensure clients expectations are met.
- Workflow management: Work with Services Delivery team to ensure consistent and timely delivery of content to clients, adhering to daily, weekly and monthly goals and deadlines.
- Excellent editing skills with an exceptional eye for detail
- Experience working with B2B technology clients
- Ability to adapt to multiple editorial styles depending on each client’s needs
- Experience with online content
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks on deadline
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships with each client’s editorial contacts
- Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively deliver constructive feedback
- Self-starter approach to work with an eagerness to consistently meet and exceed objectives and take on more responsibility
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial culture
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Google apps
- Occasional travel may be required
- Solid references
- Bachelors degree in English, journalism, communications, or related field
- Experience editing B2B tech, IT and mobile content for an expert audience strongly preferred
- Knowledge of search engine optimization concepts a plus
- 4-6 years of full-time professional editing experience
- Experience working with remote or freelance writers strongly preferred
- Experience working in educational publishing, media, or digital/print publications strongly preferred
- Track record of success
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive market-based salary. Medical, dental, life, and disability insurance plans; three weeks paid vacation; 11 paid holidays; and an open, friendly work environment.
Skyword moves brands – and their content – forward. By embracing a sustainable, scalable approach to original storytelling, Skyword liberates brands from ineffective marketing practices and inspires them to create deeper connections with their customers. With a powerful combination of enterprise-class technology, authentic voices, and professional services, Skyword propels clients’ content marketing programs to new levels of excellence. Skyword is a privately held company headquartered in Boston, MA, with an office in Pittsburgh, PA.
Skyword is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, veteran status, or any other protected factor.